Diet of low fermentable substrate
Essentially this is the same as the Ketogenic diet - the practical details but since it is carbohydrates and sugars which are easily fermented one has to be much more strict with these. Use oils to make up the calories – I know many people instinctively rebel against this idea, but oils are delicious. Very easy, no special preparation, can be poured ad lib on meals or eaten off the spoon. I do! I love the taste of olive oil, sesame, rape seed oil, nut oils and so on! Coconut oil may be additionally beneficial for the foggy brain. See Brain fog - poor memory, difficulty thinking clearly etc
- Any meats: choose from chicken, beef, lamb, pork, turkey, duck, 'game' meats such as venison, pheasant, goose etc. Bacon and ham. Salami. Liver, kidney and offal are fine too.
- Eggs - an excellent source of lecithin (eat soft yolks).
- Any fish: salmon, mackerel, cod, haddock (care with smoked fish which often contains dyes). Tinned fish in brine or olive oil is fine. Tinned shrimps, prawns, mussels, cockles etc.
- All green vegetables.
- All salads: avocado, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, peppers, onion, cress, bamboo shoots etc.
French dressing: make your own from olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard.
- The only permissible fruit are berries.
- Seeds: sunflower, poppy, sesame.
- Nuts: peanut, brazil, hazel, cashew, pistachio, walnut etc.; nut butter spreads, tahini (sesame seed spread).
- Use cold pressed nut and seed oils liberally such as sunflower, olive, sesame, grapeseed, hemp. linseed, rape and so on.
- Soya products
- Spices and herbs: chilli, cumin, ginger, coriander, pepper, cloves etc
- Herbs, salt (ideally Solo - a sodium reduced sea salt), olives, pork scratchings
- Bottled or filtered water
- Herbal teas: redbush ("rooibosch", "11 0'clock tea"), rosehip tea.
- Root vegetables - carrots, parsnip, turnip, celeriac (but not too much!)
- Pulses: lentil, butter beans, chick peas, flagolets etc
- Mixture of nuts, seeds as snacks. Roasted or salted fine.
- Arrowroot flour: for thickening gravies
Always remember: breakfast like an emperor, lunch like a king and supper like a pauper!
More often I now prescribe the ketogenic diet - please see Ketogenic diet - the practical details and My book The PK Cookbook - Go Paleo-ketogenic and get the best of both worlds.
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339